Paul S. Statt
2534 Aspen Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19130
A senior communications officer, advisor, and journalist with a 20-year record of accomplishment in the development, implementation, and maintenance of integrated communications products. A skilled writer and researcher with experience in higher education, online and print media, and information technology.
|• Strategic communications and branding||• Executive media counsel and training|
|• Community and government relations||• Writing, editing, and content development|
|• Reputation and crisis management||• Research and spatial analysis|
Summary of Achievements
Paul Statt Communications, Communications Consultant, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 2007-present
Public Health Law Research Program at Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2009-present
funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Communications Strategy and Branding
• Work with the PHLR director, management team and communications director and Robert Wood Johnson staff to write and implement a comprehensive strategic communication plan for a $15 million program of grants to support basic legal and public health research.
• Interview and advise more than 30 recipients of grants at institutions across the U. S. ensure that their communications plans are in agreement with PHLR organizational priorities.
Writing, Editing, and Content development
•Write and edit web content, including social media, video and audio podcasts.
• Write press releases and pitch stories.
• Create and maintain a website (www.phlr.org) and social media presence for news, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and an internal social media site.
• Optimize the search engine presence for the website, without advertising.
Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, December 2008-September 2009
Office of the Senior Vice President for Research and Strategic Initiatives
• Created a comprehensive strategic communication plan to improve the research profile of Temple University.
• Collaborated with the university news staff to promote solid research stories.
• Interviewed a range of faculty across the university.
• Outlined, wrote and edited the university’s research magazine.
• Wrote press releases and pitched stories for research commercialization ventures.
• Created a website and social media presence for research news.
Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2007-May 2008
Office of the Provost
• Designed, wrote, and edited Drexel REACH, the university’s new research magazine crafting readable and accurate articles to represent the research venture at Philadelphia’s technological university.
• Wrote advertising copy and created layouts for external publications.
• Advised university employees on the redesign of the university alumni magazine.
• Wrote speeches for the university provost.
• Wrote and edited reports for the provost.
Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts 1999-2007
Director of Communications and Media Relations
Built and managed Amherst’s first integrated communications and media department. Responsible for budgeting, staffing, and outside agency management.
Communication Strategy, Marketing, and Branding
• Developed and implemented the college’s first comprehensive and effective media plan. Developed media opportunities for administrators, faculty, alumni, staff, and students.
• Created and executed a media strategy that effectively communicated the college’s initiative to seek out and welcome low-income students.
• Turned around a traditional institutional culture that was overly modest and reluctant to self-market. Helped rebrand the elite college as a progressive meritocracy.
Organizational Reputation, Media Relations, and Executive Counsel
• Advised and counseled the new college president in effective use of the media, including broadcast training and interview techniques. Assisted him with writing and editing speeches and articles.
• Collaborated with local, national, and international print and television journalists on issues related to higher education. Responded to media inquiries.
• Served as the college’s spokesperson with diverse public audiences, including the media, government, alumni, trustees, and prospective students and faculty. Wrote, edited, and placed opinion pieces.
Audience Research, Content Development, and Demographics
• Researched and wrote press releases about the college’s changing image, faculty activities, including their scholarship and research, and student activities
• Wrote features, news and reviews for Amherst, the college alumni magazine.
• Introduced state-of-the-art tools, including Internet-based (Web 2.0) media tracking systems, to analyze public affairs and educational issues facing the college and its students.
Campus Crossroads, Keene, New Hampshire 1993-1999
Senior Media Relations Consultant
Responsible for the national media strategy for six to eight regional private colleges and universities that were developing a national audience.
• Collaborated with public relations officers at regional private colleges and universities to develop a national media strategy.
• Served as media advisor to college presidents in effective use of the media.
• Collaborated with local, national, and international print and television journalists on higher education stories.
Writing and Media Relations
• Researched and wrote background press material by visiting campuses and interviewing key faculty and administrators.
• Placed stories with national print and broadcast media.
• Ghostwrote and edited opinion pieces for faculty.
Macworld Communications, Peterborough, New Hampshire 1984-1993
Senior Editor, MacWorld Communications (and previous positions)
Hired as a News Editor at jr magazine. Held progressively increasingly senior positions at inCider, A+, and MacComputing magazines. Responsible for creating content for consumer magazines, including written materials, as well as the design, layout, and online presence.
Writing, Editing, and Content Development
• Wrote a “must-read” monthly opinion column, Stattus Report, which addressed the role of technology in society.
• Wrote and edited news, features (including several covers), and reviews of new products and software.
• In conjunction with the design department, helped shape the design and look of several magazines.
Planning, Editorial Direction, and Staff Management
• Helped create a strategic plan for several magazines that included editorial focus, art direction, and writer selection.
• Recruited, motivated, and managed a team of highly skilled writers and editorial staff. Established performance standards.
• Served as spokesperson for various public audiences, including readers, advertisers and the personal computer industry.
The Derryfield School, Manchester, New Hampshire 1979–1984
English and Math Instructor
Community College of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvaina 2011
Certificate Program in Geographic Information Systems
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 1979
Graduate Study in Mathematics
Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts 1978
B.A. in European Studies with concentration in Greek and German
Universität Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany 1976
Classics, German language and history
My German language reading and conversational skills are excellent; my writing is good.
I am skilled with desktop publishing, geographic informations systems, database management, web development and statistics software.